We had to be in Cleveland super early and so we had to wake Lincoln up to go. He was a perfect baby and was so happy the whole time we were checking in and waiting to be taken back to the surgery prep area. I was worried he would be fussy since he couldn't eat, but it wasn't a problem at all.
Here is Lincoln and me waiting for surgery time. Lincoln loved these toys. All the nurses and doctors commented on how cute Lincoln is and we agree!
Daddy and Linky-pie.
Lincoln loved rolling around on the hospital bed/crib. He obviously had no idea what was about to happen. I have always been amazed at how trusting kids are, whether we are in a situation like this or doing something totally out of the ordinary like flying on an airplane. It is quite humbling to me how much trust and faith my kids have in me.
The anesthesiologist, doctors, and nurses all came by many times to check on us and explain what would happen during the procedure while we waited for our surgery time. When it was time the anesthesiologist told us to give our kisses to Lincoln and then they wheeled him away. I was pretty emotional and worried, but I knew we were in a great hospital and I just had to trust these people to take care of my baby. A nurse called us a couple of times during the procedure to let us know how things were going. She said that Lincoln was so funny and happy and kept pulling everyone's masks off before he was put under to sleep. The procedure was very meticulous so it lasted about 2.5 hours.
When Lincoln was done we talked with the doctor who said the surgery went perfectly and that Lincoln was doing well. Soon after we got to meet up with Lincoln in the recovery room. Lincoln was pretty fussy and upset, but calmed down quickly once I got to hold him. After about an hour, Lincoln was doing super well, was smiley and even ate 3oz of formula. All of the sudden Lincoln started screaming and crying and was basically withering in pain. The nurse quickly gave him a shot of morphine, it didn't help. He was given another shot and again, it didn't help. Finally the anesthesiologist was called over and she gave the okay for the third shot of morphine and finally Lincoln calmed down. It was so awful seeing Lincoln in pain and knowing there was nothing I could do to help him. The doctor determined he was probably having bladder spasms from his catheter. About an hour after this episode we got to go home!
Here is Lincoln all doped up after his morphine shots.
Lincoln had a catheter in for a week, which was such a pain to deal with. I felt like a pharmacy with all of the medicine I had to give Lincoln. He hated having to swallow all those meds. Thankfully Lincoln's follow-up went really well, he has healed nicely, and is off all medications. We are so grateful for the amazing team of doctors and nurses at Rainbow Babies and to have Lincoln back to his old baby self. We love our happy and healthy little boy!



No comments:
Post a Comment