Saturday, May 14, 2011

Family Visits: John Johnson Home and Amish Country

My sister, Beth and her family wanted to tour all of the church historic sites while they were visiting.  I love to show and tour people around.  I'm not even sick of it though I have been to all of the sites about four times each.  First we went to the John Johnson home in Hiram.  Usually this is my favorite tour, but the senior couple who gave the tour spoke very quietly and it was difficult to hear the speakers over the semi-rowdy kids.  We still enjoyed the tour and we got some great pictures. 

This pictures is the only and best family picture of the trip.  I really think it looks great!  This is outside of the John Johnson home.  The prophet Joseph Smith actually stood on these exact stairs and gave sermons.  I love being a part of such amazing history.

Olivia enjoying the grassy field.

Samantha did too!

There is this huge rock in the yard of the John Johnson home.  The kids thought it was so fun to climb up there and so we took some fun pictures.

Beth, Brent, and the kids!
 Jacob, Claire, and Me.

Amish country was pretty close to the Johnson home so we decided it would be good to visit while we were out that way.  We only saw a few buggies, but it must have been laundry day because we saw so many clothes lines of Amish cloths.  It was kinda funny and random. 
Beth and her family in the Amish buggy at the Middlefield Cheese Factory.

 Our family in the buggy.  We have the same picture, but when Claire was only 7 months old or so...where has the time gone? :)


These girls loved to snap the reins and pretend they were making the horse go.

A few of the buggies we saw.

The kiddos next to a huge cow at a village of Amish shops.

We also ate at Mary Yodder's Amish kitchen which was almost delicious.  We still enjoyed it and I introduced Beth and Brent to the Amish peanut butter spread which is delicious!  I knew they would both love it because they are peanut butter lovers.  I wonder if people feel such fascination with us, as Latter-day Saints, as I do with the Amish people.  Though I think we are a lot more mainstream as we drive cars and use modern conveniences.  Just a thought I had...  :)

2 comments:

  1. So much fun to have family visit. We wished we could have had more visitors in Ohio because it was definitely a more unique place to live when all your used to is the Rocky Mountains (I also found the Amish community very fascinating). I am so glad Beth and her family were able to go there. I can't believe it has already been about a year since we were there visiting you. How sad to think that it has been that long.

    P.S. I have not seen any announcement but your little pregnancy ticker shows you are having a boy. Is that right? If so, congratulations. That is so exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laurie,

    It was great to have family visit and I loved showing them all around because it is so different from our neck of the woods. Though, I don't think we will have too many more visitors, except for when my mom comes when the baby comes. And yes, we are having a boy! We are excited, but I can't help but feel anxious about the differences having a boy will bring. I guess both of our girls will be big sisters soon! Hope you are feeling well as you are nearing the end.

    ReplyDelete